Friday, May 16, 2014

Wonton Soup with Bok Choy and Fresh Ginger


Dave is out of town again on business, so if you see his food impressions missing in action lately that's why. He has been traveling an unusual amount recently. He cries that it's exhausting traveling so much….I cry, ya right, take me with you and I'd gladly be exhausted….especially when it's New York City. He's staying at the Plaza (I'm saying The Plaaaza in that stuffy kind of voice darling) and he's in a room that looks more like a Manhattan Apartment! Poor Davie..I feel so sorry for him.

Honestly, when Dave does travel and I'm not tagging along, I use this as an opportunity to do something special with the boys, something that Dave would not have any interest in doing, things that make him cringe. Like having a pizza party in our bedroom with Pizza Hut Pizza and watching horror flicks. Yes, call me crazy but I love Pizza Hut pizza…it's the buttery, greasy crust that does it for me! 3 things that make Dave cringe: eating upstairs, eating Pizza Hut pizza, and watching horror flicks. Well Dave will be happy because we only did two of the things that make him cringe…eating upstairs and watching horror flicks! Who doesn't like scary movies, right?

My plan was to order two deep dish pizzas and a double order of breadsticks with marinara sauce from Pizza Hut and then I changed my mind. The weather has been rainy all week and I was in the mood for soup. I didn't tell the boys my plan was to get pizza so when I made soup there was no complaining. Plus they simply love soup. So I made giant bowls of homemade Wonton Soup with Bok Choy and Fresh Ginger. Gosh it was soooo good.

Dave called me, from The Plaaaaza don't forget, to say goodnight and that he was going to dinner. I said to him well you have fun and enjoy your dinner because we are eating the most delicious wonton soup ever. He thought it was odd that I didn't get Pizza Hut pizza and asked that I save some soup for him. I told him the way the boys are devouring the soup I wasn't sure there would be any left. I know how much Dave loves soup so I did save him a bowl, even though I was a tad envious that he was in NYC and I wasn't!  Then I thought for a moment, as I looked at the boys all comfy cozy, wrapped in their blankets, leaning against their pillows, in their PJs, with stuffed animals by their side, eating giant bowls of my homemade wonton soup, watching scary movies in our bedroom….where would I really rather be: at home or NYC? Hands down, at home. Salute to being at home with my boys eating giant bowls of Wonton Soup, camping in our bedroom watching movies!



Wonton Soup with Bok Choy and Fresh Ginger (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 20 minutes

Serves 6

Ingredients:

  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tb finely grated fresh ginger
  • 2 cups of cut bok choy (chinese cabbage) I used baby bok choy
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • frozen mini chicken or pork wontons - about 20 wontons (I used Trader Joe brand) or *use 2 packages of ramen noodles 
  • 4 scallion sprigs sliced
In a large soup pot, add broth and ginger over medium-high heat until it comes to a mild boil. Add bok choy and carrots and let cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Add wontons and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Add scallions. Serve in deep bowls and garnish with extra scallions.

Food Impressions:

Nate: "I could eat 10 bowls of this soup it's so good."

Tyler: "It's not so easy trying to eat this soup in the bedroom. I like the wontons but whats the green stuff inside?" Cilantro Tyler.

Zachary: "Can you get me a second bowl…I don't want to go all the way downstairs!"

Andrea: Very very good soup. It's lighter and not heavy on the sodium. It's fresh tasting and the ginger adds a nice touch. I love simple soups, especially ones that don't require a lot of prep work. Supe quick easy meal to make during the week or as a first course.

No comments:

Post a Comment