Sunday, January 4, 2015

Crockpot Tuna Casserole - An Oldie but Goodie!


So onto one of my New Years Resolutions for 2015…continuing to blog about our family recipes, experiences and food impressions.

The ski season has officially started for each of us. Dave's goal this ski season was to ski "first tracks" on opening day at Holiday Valley. Unfortunately he did not make it for first tracks due to the epic "Snowvember" storm, but he did get to ski that day. However, he was very proud that at least he made "first tracks" on the opening of the 219 when the driving ban was lifted! The boys are participating in Holiday Valley's Screaming Eagles Ski Program and are loving it. Zachary already took 3rd place for speed at the Eagles Nastar Ski Race. I got an awesome pair of new skis, but for me the ski season officially begins when I get to cook our first ski lodge meal. Saturday, January 3rd was the official day and the meal: Tuna Casserole. Yum!

There is something so exciting about waking up on a snowy morning and preparing our ski lodge meal. My inspiration for making Tuna Casserole is it's simplicity. When heading to the slopes I don't want to prepare a meal that requires a lot of fuss. I want to make something that's easy, delicious and keeps us warm on a cold winter day. Tuna Casserole is a meal I've been eating since I was a little girl and to this day I still make my mom's original recipe. Tuna Casserole is also a recipe that is near and dear to my heart because it's the first meal Dave made me when we started dating. His recipe, which is his mom's, is identical to my mom's. This is truly an oldie but goodie recipe. It's no wonder our boys always devour tuna casserole and always ask for seconds and thirds!

Since I made this in the crockpot I did make a few adjustments to our classic recipe. Nonetheless, it was still out of this world and maintained it's comfort food taste. What's so easy about the crockpot version is that you cook your noodles according to the package, add the ingredients and cook for 2 hours. That's it! I served it with pillsbury crescent rolls…another classic. It was a perfect meal for our first ski lodge meal. Everyone had seconds and there wasn't a noodle leftover. It warmed everyone's stomachs for hours. I am confident this is a meal my boys will be making for their children one day!

Salute to the ski season officially beginning, cooking ski lodge meals and eating Tuna Casserole- an oldie but goodie!
Add ingredients to the crockpot

Two hours later…comfort food goodness!
Perfect ski lodge meal
Look behind you Nate!
Asking for seconds
Need I say more!
Crockpot Tuna Casserole (Click to print recipe)

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours

Serves 6

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound pasta or egg noodles cooked according to package (for this recipe I used rotini)
  • 2 cans (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 3 cans of albacore or chunk tuna in water, drained
  • 1 can (10 -12 oz) sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup frozen peas
Cook noodles according to package depending on what type of noodle you use. Mix in mushroom soup and milk. Stir until well mixed. Gently stir in tuna, mushrooms and peas. Add salt n pepper to taste. Place tuna noodle mixture into a crockpot and cook 2-3 hours on low. 

Food Impressions:

Nate: "This is the perfect ski meal." He devoured his bowl in literally 5 minutes and he immediately reached his hand out and asked for seconds. My bowl hadn't been plated yet!

Tyler: "Can we have our ski lunches with you every time? This is really warming me up mom!" Tyler had seconds.

Zachary: "Make sure and give me lots of extra mushrooms." He has seconds.

Dave: "Delicious, great lunch, perfect for the lodge." He had thirds!

Andrea: An oldie but goodie. This is a classic comfort food recipe that is so easy to make. Will continue making this recipe for generations! My typical recipe cooked in the oven has a buttered bread crumb topping. I had seconds too!
Zachary placing 3rd!


No comments:

Post a Comment