Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Grilled Tequila-Lime Shrimp Skewers over Quinoa


I've referenced in several of my posts that I love recipes that require wine. It's the perfect excuse to have a glass of wine while cooking and then a glass with dinner. Oh, who am I kidding, even if the recipe doesn't call for wine, I find an excuse to have a glass of wine while cooking. Well, this recipe goes beyond cooking with wine. The recipe I am sharing with you today requires T-E-Q-U-I-L-A!!! Yes, tequila! I felt a bit adventurous and even a little on the wild side when I cracked open the bottle of tequila. I couldn't help myself but take a swig of tequila right from the bottle. Whoa, it cleared up my sinuses all right, and only wished I remembered to finish it off with a bite of sugared lime….the way Dave and I did it in Playa Del Carmen last year. Had it been a weekend night I would have certainly grabbed my Ninja and started making margaritas to go along with these divine shrimp skewers, but the shot of tequila while cooking stopped that.

The recipe I made was Grilled Tequila-Lime Shrimp Skewers over Quinoa. It reminded me of eating a light and refreshing meal in the tropics. It had some heat, although not too much and there was a nice lime flavor. This is the perfect recipe to grill up on a warm day. They are so easy to make and cook in minutes. The longest part of the recipe is letting the shrimp marinate…and the longer you have it marinate the better the flavors. The boys devoured the shrimp…they love shrimp though, so I knew it would be a hit. I served it over quinoa and a caprese salad on the side. The whole meal was delicious. I am so happy that the warm weather has finally arrived so we can grill outside. I am also so happy that the warm weather has arrived so I can add a splash of tequila to future meals. Salute to cooking with tequila!
Tequila and Lime
Marinating for at least 30 minutes
Ready to be grilled, 3 minutes per side
Just off the grill
Perfect over quinoa!
Grilled Tequila-Lime Shrimp Skewers (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 40 minutes

Serves 6

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds peeled, deveined and cleaned raw large shrimp, tails left on
  • 1/4 cup tequila
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 t. minced garlic
  • 1/2 t cayenne
  • 1 tb chili powder
  • 1 tb cilantro
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 6 skewer sticks
In a large baggie, add all ingredients and mix until well blended and shrimp are coated. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes or longer in the refrigerator. Add 5-6 shrimp per skewer. Grill for 3 minutes per side or until no longer pink. Serve over quinoa.

Food Impressions:

Nate: "Mom, why don't you ask for our food impressions anymore?" Because Nate, I try to capture your food impressions unprompted. "Oh okay, well this shrimp is deeeelicious!"

Tyler: "I agree with Nate, it's delicious and it's a little spicy."

Zachary: "I hope there is more of this because it's that good and if there isn't I'll have a lot more of the tomato mozzarella salad."

Dave: "Great summer dish and the flavors are spot on."

Andrea: Quick, simple, light, refreshing meal that's great to make on a weeknight and special enough to make for guests. The quinoa is a perfect compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment