Monday, April 28, 2014

Sautéed Hot Peppers and Onions - Wow!


Today my intention was to make hot stuffed banana peppers. I make them a few times a month because a) they taste absolutely amazing and b) my family goes crazy for them. There is typically an argument over the stuffed banana peppers because the boys claim someone got more than them or they complain that I didn't make enough. I usually stuff them and I have a few delicious variations (See recipe from previous post) but today I decided to simply slice and sauté them with onions and garlic. It was one of those recipes that I literally thought of as I was pulling the ingredients out of the refrigerator. My inspiration and food impression came from the sautéed hot peppers on the menu from Santasierso's Restaurant on Niagara Street. My brother Tom loves their peppers and also makes them at home. I figured why not give them a try because it will be a heck of a lot easier than stuffing them. Wegmans has precut and deseeded peppers which are great if you want to save on time or save yourself the agony of coring out the hot seeds and then mistakenly rubbing your eyes or nose…ouch! Those seeds burn so be careful if you are coring yourself. As soon as I started sautéing the peppers and onions the aroma staring permeating throughout the house. Tyler and Zachary came running into the kitchen and said with great excitement "Are you making hot peppers?" I said "Yes, but I'm making them a little differently." They didn't seem to care how they were prepared they were just psyched they were hot peppers. After sautéing them for 15 minutes they started to caramelize and even take on a crispy edge. They smelled and looked delicious in the pan. I decided last minute to add some cheese. Don't forget my intent was to stuff them so I felt that adding a little cheese would calm the heat a bit. So I added goat cheese. I always serve my hot peppers with baguette bread on the side to cool my mouth when there's a really hot bite. So I made bite sized hot peppers on baguette bread. They were amazing. So amazing that an argument broke out again and we were all fighting over who got the last bite. They also complained that I didn't make enough. I couldn't argue that because I didn't. I was craving for more. I was fighting for more. So I promised them that I would make a lot more sautéed peppers and onions the next day. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow. Salute to Sauteed Hot Peppers and Onions and my last minute recipe change!
Hot banana peppers, cleaned, cored 
Sliced peppers and onions sauteeing in olive oil and garlic
Look at how the peppers caramelize 
Goat cheese adds a creaminess and coolness to the hot peppers 
Ready to add the peppers to the fresh baguette bread
Wow! Now that's a great appetizer!
Serve these hot spicy morsels at your next party and they'll be sure to be a hit!
Sauteed Hot Peppers and Onions (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 40 minutes if deseeding the peppers yourself

Makes 24 baguette slices

Ingredients:
  • 8 hot banana peppers, deseeded and sliced
  • 1/2 spanish onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 tb minced garlic
  • 2 tb olive oil
  • salt n pepper to taste
  • 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
  • baguette bread, cut into 24 thin slices
In a medium saute pan heat olive oil over medium- low heat. Add minced peppers, onions, garlic and salt n pepper and continually stir. Cook for 15 minutes until soft and caramelized. Add goat cheese and stir for 1-2 minutes until cheese melts. Place a small spoonful of peppers onto the baguette bread slices and serve.

Food Impressions:

Nate: You probably know by now if it has onions Nate won't go near it. More for us!

Tyler: "Why do you say Zachary like hot peppers more than anyone? You know I love these more than anyone." "Why didn't you make more??"

Zachary: "Please just one more, please just one more!!"

Dave: "Wow, these are really good. And why didn't you make more??"

Andrea: This recipe was amazing and I will make it this way often from now on. I can't wait to serve this to guests when I entertain. And now that grill seasons approaching I think this recipe would taste great sautéed on the grill.

1 comment: