Sunday, December 29, 2019

Charred Eggplants with Tomato Jam and Whipped Feta


This tangy and savor recipe is an unexpected take on a side dish or veggie-centric appetizer for any occasion!



I belong to a local farm share called Fresh Fix. There is a twist to this farm share which is a bit different from most ~ they deliver it to you! I love this concept. Fresh Fix delivers organic vegetables and fruit, once per week, right to my doorstep. I used to belong to a farm share where you pick up your share at a certain address and during a certain time frame. Inevitably, I would forget to go or I didn't have time to swing by and get it, totally frustrating! Fresh Fix delivers a box directly to your doorstep and you don't even have to be there to take delivery; they just drop it off. They also allow you to skip weeks so if I'm traveling or don't need vegetables I can go online and press skip. What I also really like about Fresh Fix is that there are usually items in my box that I haven't tried before or that I'm not inclined to buy at the grocery store. I've received things like exotic mushrooms, microgreens, or heirloom eggplant like I got recently.

I was excited to try the baby eggplant that was delivered to me by Fresh Fix. When I'm in the mood for eggplant I typically make Eggplant Parmesan, Ratatouille, or simply grill it with a drizzle of balsamic. This baby eggplant was too cute to just make the ordinary standard.  Ironically, I recently read a magazine that highlighted a recipe using baby eggplant. I just had to make it and it was outstanding! The recipe I'm sharing is ~ Charred Eggplants with Tomato Jam and Whipped Feta. It was absolutely delicious and tasted like an appetizer that I'd order at a trendy restaurant. My family loved it and I will make sure to make this again and again. Cheers and salute to Fresh Fix and the delivery of my baby eggplant!
Charred Eggplants with Tomato Jam and Whipped Feta


Serves 4

Ingredients:

Tomato jam:
  • 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
Whipped Feta:
  • 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1/4 cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
Eggplants:
  • 2 eggplants, split or 4-5 small-medium sized heirloom varieties
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • chives, chopped for garnish
Instructions:

  1.  In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together tomato jam ingredients. Bring to a simmer, and simmer for 15 minutes, whisking frequently. Remove from heat, let rest at room temperature until ready to serve.
  2.  In a large bowl, combine whipped feta ingredients. Use a hand mixer or an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment to whisk until smooth. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
  3. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Coat eggplant with oil, and season with salt, coriander, cumin and garlic. Grill eggplants, flipping halfway through, for 7-8 minutes or until tender and lightly charred.
  4. Serve eggplants with tomato jam and whipped feta, and garnish with chopped chives.
Tip: The tomato jam and whipped feta, when wrapped and stored in the refrigerator will keep for a week.





1 comment: