Thursday, May 22, 2014

Haricot Verts with Almonds and Lemon


You say haricot verts and I say green beans. Same, different, just a fancy name you say. Well let's see what Wikipedia says. If you type in "haricot vert" in their search it redirects you to "green beans." There are over 130 varieties of green beans and haricot verts otherwise known as french bean happens to be a variety of a green bean. The unique quality of haricot verts is that they are longer and thinner. I actually prefer cooking with haricot verts because they cook quickly and their shape is more uniform. Plus, I consider the haricot vert the prettier and snootier variety… and I like that! You can get them from Wegmans or Trader Joes and they are pre washed, prepped and nicely packaged. I just grab them and go without having to dig through bulk green beans and picking through the good and the bad.

Steam them, sauté them or eat them raw, haricot verts never go to waste in our household. Actually as I was making this recipe Dave kept hovering over my shoulder grabbing raw beans. I had to slap his hand a few times, but that didn't stop him. Oh who am I kidding, I kept eating them raw myself. What I love about green beans is that they go with anything and I can't say that for many vegetables. Seriously, think of a dish where green beans don't make a good side? I can't think of any. Plus, they are super healthy for you…they are a good source of fiber, filled with vitamins and minerals. Plus, one cup of green beans is only 35 calories. So eat away with any meal.

I love making green beans with a little butter and salt and pepper and I'm a happy camper. But sometimes I like to jazz up my green beans, so tonight I made Steamed Haricot Verts with Almonds and Lemon. This recipe is so light and refreshing, the lemon gives it a bit of tang and the almonds give it a nutty crunch. My preferred method of cooking green beans is steaming them. 5 minutes in the microwave and your done. A friend of mine, Tracy F. asked me what my favorite cooking accessories where. I told her it was a great question and that I never really thought about it before. I also told her that her question would eventually provoke me to post about them, because I have tons! Well Tracy, here is one of my favorite kitchen accessories that I use often…it's the Pampered Chef Large Micro Cooker for the Microwave. I've had mine for years and it's never failed me. It steams all vegetables perfectly and quickly. So if any of you are at a Pampered Chef party make sure to buy yourself one and you will love it. And Tracy, more of my kitchen favorites coming, so thanks for asking!

So I steamed my haricots in my Pampered Chef steamer and they came out perfectly. I added a drizzle of Wegmans basting oil, a handful of sliced almonds, a squeeze of fresh lemon and a dash of salt n pepper. Simply delicious! Salute to haricot verts, the longer, thinner, prettier and more snooty green bean variety!
My Pampered Chef Micro Cooker, my favorite steamer

Don't you agree they are the prettiest and snootiest of green beans? That's why I love them!
Haricot Verts with Sliced Almonds and Lemon (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 10 minutes

Serves 6

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound of haricot verts
  • generous drizzle of Wegmans basting oil (If you don't have on hand add 1 tb minced garlic with olive oil)
  • juice of half lemon
  • 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
  • salt n pepper
In a steamer add beans and 1/4 cup of water and microwave for 5 minutes. Place on a platter and add a generous drizzle of Wegmans basting oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, almonds, and salt n pepper to taste. 

Food Impressions:

Nate: "I don't want any almonds on my beans." 

Tyler: "I could just eat these all day. Can you put some in my lunch?"

Zachary: "I like the almonds because they are crunchy and nutty."

Dave: "Perfectly cooked and tasty."

Andrea: One of my favorite vegetables. They are versatile and go great with any dish. I didn't give Tyler any for his lunch because I saved them for my lunch! Sorry Tyler baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment