Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Spinach Brownies - Say Whaat?


I was at a wine tasting party a few months ago. There were amazing wines and amazing food pairings to go with it. A co-worker of mine was there and she brought an appetizer to the party. She insisted, and I mean insisted that I try her appetizer which she called "spinach brownies." I did not want to try her so called spinach brownies…it looked too much like a breakfast food, plus the recipe title was odd…spinach brownie! That doesn't even sound appetizing…is it breakfast or is it a dessert? Sounds like a bit of an identity crisis to me!

After she asked me again to try her appetizer, I just told her it looked really good. Then I tried steering our conversation in another direction in hopes that she wouldn't insist I try her spinach brownie again. Well our conversation lasted a whole 5 minutes and she was back to insisting I try her recipe. She said she didn't get a chance to taste it, wanted to make sure it was good and wanted my opinion. I was like great she wants me to be her guinea pig. She then proceeds to cut a slice for me, puts it on a plate and says "Here you go, try it." I felt like she was my grandmother trying to feed me liver as a kid and not being able to say no. Plus, I kept thinking this appetizer which seems more like breakfast…this is really going to throw off my whole wine tasting palate. AND to boot I'm going to walk around with spinach stuck in my teeth after taking a bite. So the good person I am, said "Oh thank you for cutting me a piece." She looked at me anxiously awaiting my response…I begrudgingly took a bite and was like holy-deliciousness! It was amazing! It didn't taste eggy like I thought it would. It tasted really cheesy and spinachy. I took another bite and then took a sip of my Savignon Blanc that I was sampling. It paired so well together, seriously, I know! Shame on me for resisting to try her recipe and kudos to her for practically shoving it down my throat. I told her how absolutely delicious it was and even took a second piece.

I never asked her for the recipe but I remember her telling me a few key ingredients. I've improvised the recipe and it tastes delicious every time. It has been a staple in my house ever since. Although this is really an appetizer, I typically make it on a weekend and eat it for breakfast. I also make sure to make plenty of extras so I can bring it to lunch during the week. It keeps really well and heats up in the microwave in under a minute. When I make this recipe as an appetizer I add chopped artichokes. The boys love it, especially Zachary. Dave likes it but it's not hearty enough for him. I usually bake this in a 9 x 13 inch glass bake pan but since I made this for Mother's Day and wanted it to look fancy, I cut the recipe in half and made it in a quiche pan. So why is this called spinach brownie? I have no idea other than the fact it's baked in a 9 x 13 inch pan and it's cut into brownie sized squares. Salute to making this deliciously odd sounding recipe, that will probably cause you to unknowingly walk around with spinach in your teeth!

Spinach Brownies (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 30 minutes

Serves 6 in 10 inch quiche pan

*Double recipe if using a 9 x 13 pan and cut into square pieces and bake 35-40 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 frozen package of chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup half in half
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup  crumbled feta cheese
  • dash of nutmeg 
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1/8 t pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the quiche pan or spray with a non stick cooking spray. Whisk eggs, half n half and greek yogurt. Add spinach, cheddar cheese, feta cheese, nutmeg and salt n pepper. Mix until well blended. Pour spinach/egg mixture into quiche pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Food Impressions:

Nate: "Delicious. I feel like I have so much energy for the day now."

Tyler: Didn't have any…he opted for a huge piece of italian bread toasted with butter.

Zachary: "Ohhh, I love it when you make spinach brownies. Why are you cooking it in that round dish? They are thinner now." Zachary had 3 helpings!!!

Dave: Didn't have any…he opted for poached eggs over italian bread. He used my new egg cooker…can't wait to post about that cool accessory!

Andrea: Love, love, love! I especially love to eat this for lunch at work. I haven't served this as an appetizer yet but if I did I would probably add chopped artichokes to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment