Sunday, March 1, 2015

Lemon Kale Chips (17 Day Diet Friendly)


Lemon Kale Chips

Okay Talia, I have a recipe for you (and your mom) and you are going to love it just as much as you love my Salt-n- Vinegar Spinach Chips! (Click to print recipe) They are Lemon Kale Chips. I've been making these chips for years and that's where I got the idea to make spinach chips. I know how much you love veggies, so this healthy snack will be right up your food alley. Kale is known as being a "superfood" which basically means it's packed with nutrients and it's really really good for you. Nate laughs when he hears me say kale is a superfood. He says "I like kale and all, but sometimes it's just way overrated." I agree with him when it comes to the store bought ones. That's all you hear about is kale, kale, kale and how good it is for you…some may think if you eat enough of it you will like turn into Superman. Not all kale chips are created equal, in other words some kale chips are really truly good for you and some are not. Let me explain….You may go into the grocery store and see bagged kale chips right along side of your favorite Cheese Puffs….be warned though, these are not the kind of kale chips that will turn you into Superman. Some of these kale chips are processed and contain loads of salt, artificial flavoring and other ingredients that you probably can't even pronounce. Kale is only a superfood when it's eaten fresh. Food manufacturers turn fresh kale into dehydrated chips which sit on the shelves for weeks or even months! I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like a superfood to me, it sounds more like nasty-old-food. So don't be fooled into thinking those types of kale chips are good for you, trust me I know…I saw it on The Doctor Show!

Once you make these Lemon Kale Chips at home you won't ever want store bought ones anyways. Making them is a cinch too. I would even venture to say that kale chips are easier to make than my spinach chips. Why you ask? Because baby spinach is more delicate than kale. Kale is more durable and can be all tossed and thrown together on a baking pan in minutes. So easy Stella could make it!

Let's talk about taste. Oh, they are so scrump-dilly-icious! Lemon goes so well with kale so those flavors sing in harmony together. And the sprinkle of sea salt adds the flavor that keeps you coming back for more. They are addicting and you won't stop at one. But what you'll love most…is when you toss a kale chip in your mouth and take a bite. The crunch is amazing. It isn't a crunch you get when you eat a potato chip…it's a more delicate crunch. The boys describe it as a crinkly crunch. You just have to make them and see what I mean.

When the boys came home from skiing with you today, they had these lemon kale chips for snack. They devoured them like little vultures. It's a good thing I ate some when they came out of the oven. Yes, they are superb right out of the oven too. The other thing that's superb about these lemon kale chips is that they are 17 Day Diet friendly. So your mom will be all over these chips since she is on the diet with me. So tell your mom when she goes grocery shopping to buy kale…I already know she has loads of lemon at home for her morning hot water with lemon. I can't wait to hear your food impressions on my Lemon Kale Chips!

Salute to completing day 7 of the 17 Day Diet and to Talia enjoying my Lemon Kale Chips just as much as my Salt-n-Vinegar Spinach Chips!
Cycle 1, Day 7 of the 17 Day Diet Menu and Impressions

Morning Beverage: Hot water with fresh lemon

Breakfast: Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and a cup a free tea

Lunch: Lemon Kale Chips and a cup of green tea (I had a later breakfast so I skipped a protein)

Dinner: Baked Cod Marinara with Artichokes and Feta, an arugula salad with red onion and red pepper. This recipe was amazing... I will post recipe soon. (See picture below)

Exercise: 17 minutes of leg squats and arm weights

Diet Impressions: Today, was a good day. For whatever reason I wasn't too hungry today and didn't crave anything like bread or sweets. Not sure if my body is adjusting to the diet better or what. I also still not missing coffee. I've been still pee'ing all day and luckily only once at night. Dave gave me the body squeeze and he said he feels less in my waist and buttocks. I'll try on the red shorts tomorrow morning…that's my true test.
Lemony, Crispy, Delicious and 17 Day Diet Friendly
Start with Tuscan kale, washed and cut
Then toss with olive oil and sea salt
Make sure all of the leaves are coated well
Place on baking sheet, you may need two sheets
Squeeze fresh lemon over top and bake for 15 minutes
Just out of the oven, all crispy good
It shrinks as you can see!
You will not stop at one bite, very addicting
Your family will devour every last chip
Zachary did...
As well as Tyler!

And here is Talia! She made the Lemon Kale Chips
and loved them!
Brussels Sprouts Chips are the next to try Talia!

Lemon Kale Chips: (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 20 minutes

Serves: 4 snack sized portions

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups tuscan kale leaves, washed and cut. (tuscan are the curly kale)
  • 2 tb olive oil
  • sea salt
  • fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. If you are not using packaged kale that is already washed and cut, make sure to completely dry your leaves before adding olive oil and baking. In a large bowl add kale and olive oil and mix until every leaf has been coated. You can do this with a pair of tongs or with your hands. Add 2 or 3 sprinkles of sea salt, or to your liking. Mix once again. Now add kale to a baking sheet, depending on size you may need two baking sheets. Now squeeze lemon juice over kale greens. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. They will be crispy to the touch. Eat warm or room temperature.


Dinner: Baked Cod Marinara with Artichokes and Feta

No comments:

Post a Comment