Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Hearty Cabbage Soup (17 Day Diet Friendly)

Hearty Cabbage Soup


Today on the front page of The Buffalo News the headline was titled "February Our Coldest Month Ever!" The average temperature this month has been 11.6!!! Repeat….11.6! We may as well be living as eskimos it's so arctic cold, brrrr! I couldn't bear finishing the article so I perused the others and came across one titled "Where to Find the Perfect Soups." I enthusiastically read the article. It highlighted 5 local restaurants that make incredible soups that keep customers coming back for more. They all looked so good. Well, I have a an incredible soup recipe that will keep you coming back for more….Hearty Cabbage Soup. Not only is this a 17 Day Diet friendly soup but it's a coldest month ever friendly soup! And it's ooooh so delicious!

This soup is hearty because it's packed with not only cabbage, but cauliflower, spinach, celery and carrots as well. This cabbage soup will seriously satisfy the hungriest appetite. It's filling but won't fill you with extra calories. So you can have 2 or 3 bowls without the guilt. Bonus, right? Cabbage soup is known for being healthy and nutritious. Every spoonful I took I felt like I was nourishing and doing my body good. What I really like about this soup is it's simplicity…simple ingredients, simple preparation, simple taste. The boys and I loved this soup…Zachary actually said "Mom, this soup is the best soup that doesn't have meat in it." He's right! I'm glad I made a double batch so we could enjoy leftovers for lunch or even as a snack with the cold days ahead.

Salute to completing my 3rd day on the 17 Day Diet and making the perfect soup on a cold day!

For another great 17 Day Diet Friendly Soup try my Spicy Chicken and Kale recipe (click here)
Cycle 1, Day 3 Daily Menu and Impressions

Morning Beverage: two cups of hot water with lemon.

Breakfast: two hard boiled eggs, an orange and one cup of green tea, and a probiotic supplement.

Lunch: leftover Sicilian Caponata and one cup of green tea.

Dinner: Hearty Cabbage Soup and one cup of green tea.

Exercise: 17 minutes of squats and arm weights.

17 Day Diet Impressions: I'm on day 3 of the 17 Day Diet and so far so good. I tried on my red shorts this morning hoping they would be a tad loose, no such luck. However, I do feel like I lost a little weight and feel really good. I know Dr. Mike recommends weighing yourself on this diet, but I'm not going to do that, just yet anyways. I will continue to use my little red shorts as my scale. The one thing I am really enjoying about this diet is the recommended hot water with lemon in the morning. The past couple of mornings I've had two cups, that's how much I like it. Plus, knowing that there are so many other health benefits to drinking this simple concoction besides weight loss, makes it even better! Experts claim that it rejuvenates the skin by reducing fine lines and stimulates a radiance and glow! I'm all over that claim! Whoot hoot!
A Cabbage Soup that's perfect for the 17 Day Diet
Healthy, nutritious, low calorie
Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery and Carrots in a
Clear Chicken Broth
Saute the Veggies First
Then allow the vegetables to cook in the broth
The perfect soup on a cold winters day!
Hearty Cabbage Soup: (Click to print recipe)

Serves 8

Preparation and cook time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 head of cabbage, cut into large pieces
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 2 tb olive oil
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 8 cups fat free chicken broth
  • 1 t dried parsley
  • 1/2 t thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt n pepper
In a large stock pot, add olive oil and cook over medium heat. Add cabbage, celery and carrots and cook for 10 minutes until cabbage is wilted. Add parsley, thyme, salt n pepper and bay leaf and stir. Now add chicken stock. Turn heat up to medium high and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes or until cauliflower and carrots are tender. Turn heat back down to medium and add spinach and stir. Let cook for another 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy! 
Breakfast and a cup of green tea
Lunch…leftover Sicilian Caponata and a cup of green tea
Dinner: Hearty Cabbage Soup and a cup of green tea

1 comment:

  1. Being foodies its difficult to avoid these delicious food but they directly effect our health so we are supposed to be careful about consumption of such food. Thank you for sharing this post, its a guideline to maintain a balanced sugar diet.
    Green tea weight loss in 1 month

    ReplyDelete