Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Maple Bourbon BBQ Pulled Pork



The inspiration for this recipe is from my friend Sue, who by the way make the best lobster bisque. She posted a picture on Facebook of a Bourbon Pulled Pork recipe that she was making. It looked absolutely delicious and I immediately replied: "I gotta have this recipe, please send!" She sent me the link and I electronically stowed it away in my phone and couldn't wait until I had the opportunity to make it.

I was grocery shopping at Dash's and saw a 7 pound pork shoulder for $11.00! I grabbed that fat pork butt so fast and said "you're dinner tomorrow!" When I got home I looked at Sue's recipe and I was like holy moly ingredients and holy moly steps to make it. I wanted to make my pulled pork tomorrow; there was no way I had the time or the root beer it called for to make Sue's recipe. I was super bummed  but I had to put her recipe away for another time. My mission was to make this pulled pork tomorrow so I had to improvise with what I already had at home.

Sue had me at Bourbon, so I knew that would be my star ingredient.  We may not have root beer in our house but we sure have plenty of liquor in our cabinet. When I spotted our Jim Beams Maple Bourbon Whiskey and I was like jackpot! I bought this maple bourbon last Thanksgiving and I made everyone at the dinner table take a shot. It has a nice sweet maple flavor that cuts the bourbon a scoche. For those who follow my blog you know I love it when a recipe calls for alcohol; it allows me to take a swig. While preparing this recipe I took a swig of maple bourbon... hello open sinus passages! 

I cooked the pork butt, which is actually from the shoulder and not the butt by the way, in the slow cooker on high for 8 hours. Mine took as long as it did because it was 7 pounds. If your pork butt is between 4-6 pounds 5-6 hours should be good enough. When the pork was done cooking it literally fell off the bone because it was that moist and tender. I took two forks and simply pullied it apart right in its brothy juice. After I strained some of the juices I topped off the pork with some extra maple syrup! Oh my sweet goodness! We served the pulled pork on soft fresh rolls - Costanzo's rolls are our favorite. 

The boys couldn't get enough of this pulled pork, nor could I. The maple bourbon gave it deep layer of flavor and the maple syrup gave it a delicate sweetness. I typically make my BBQ Pulled Pork recipe which is my go-to staple, but now this master recipe will be right there with it. 

Salute to Sue's bourbon inspired pulled pork recipe!
Maple Bourbon BBQ Pulled Pork
Maple Bourbon Whisky and maple syrup are the rock star ingredients in this pulled pork recipe
After the pork has been in the slow cooker for 8 hours
The pork is moist and tender and practically
falls apart by itself.
Ready to serve on soft rolls - Costanzo's rolls of course!
Maple Bourbon BBQ Pulled Pork (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 6-8 hours in the crockpot

Serves 8-10

Ingredients:
  • 4-7 pound pork shoulder/butt
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 bottle of original/regular barbecue sauce, reserve 1/2 bottle for end of cooking
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup, * optional: reserve an addition 1/4 cup for end of cooking
  • 1/2 maple bourbon or regular bourbon
  • salt n pepper
Trim any visible fat from pork shoulder and season with salt and pepper. Place diced onion and garlic cloves at the bottom of crockpot and add enough bbq sauce to coat bottom. Put pork shoulder on top of onions and garlic and add maple syrup, bourbon and 1/2 bottle of bbq sauce. Cook on high for 6-8 hours or on low for 10-12 hours. After it's cooked pierce the pork with a fork and a piece should easily fall off. With two forks pull the pork apart until it shreds. Remove an bones or excess fat and discard. With a pair of tongs, place the shredded pork on a platter and remove the pork juice and keep approximately 2 cups of juice and leave it in the crockpot. Add the remainder of the bottled bbq sauce and stir until well blended, this will thicken the juice. Add the pulled pork back to the crockpot and optional - add 1/4 cup of maple syrup to top. Mix well. Serve pulled pork over fresh rolls.

Food Impressions

Nate: "This is the best pulled pork recipe ever."

Tyler: "Oh, this is sooo good." Tyler asked to have a 3rd sandwich, we said "No."

Zachary: "I love the BBQ sauce, and I can taste the maple syrup."

Dave: As he was taking his first bite of the pulled pork sandwich he gave me the thumbs up!

Andrea: This recipe is a keeper. Its a great recipe to make for a large crowd. The sauce is amazing and everyone will be asking for the recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment