Friday, February 27, 2015

Spinach Feta Frittata Bake (17 Day Diet Friendly)

Spinach Feta Frittata Bake

Hello morning and hello Spinach Feta Frittata Bake! Those who know me know I am not a big morning person or a big breakfast person. I'd be happy if I could sleep in everyday and skip breakfast all together. When I woke up today I sprung out of bed knowing that I made a delicious frittata casserole last night. I've been eating a lot of hard boiled eggs this week on the 17 Day Diet and they are getting kinda boring. So I thought why not make a large frittata casserole that we could eat throughout the weekend. That's much more exciting than hard boiled eggs.

Many people ask what is the difference between a quiche and a frittata? Well, it's very simple: quiche is made with a crust, which means added carbs and calories; and a frittata is made without a crust which means no carbs and less calories. So when I was choosing which type of egg casserole to make, I opted for the better for you frittata instead. Dr. Mike would for sure approve of my healthier choice. 

I made the casserole yesterday while I was making the Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps (click to see recipe). Yes, I was multi-cooking, which I often do. But trust me the frittata casserole was a breeze to make so multi-cooking wasn't a problem. It took like 5 minutes to toss together. So while you're making dinner one night, whip up this frittata casserole along with it. Baking it was the longest part which was only 25 minutes. After it was done baking I let it cool and then put it in the refrigerator for the next day. Before I left this morning I grabbed a piece and took it to work. Once I got there I popped it in the microwave for 1 minute and had a fancy breakfast. Much tastier and much fancier than hard boiled eggs, I tell you! 

I made this frittata casserole because it's a 17 Day Diet friendly recipe. And I love recipes are healthy, nutritious and waistline slimming. Everything in this casserole is is good for you...eggs, baby spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes. I also added free feta and fat free mozzarella cheese to elevate the favors. Instead of milk, I added a cup of plain Greek yogurt which gave it a nice creamy taste. Not only did it taste good but it looks pretty enough to serve guests at an elegant brunch! 

Salute to waking up early and enjoying a nutrioious, easy to prepare, delicious Spinach and Feta Frittata Casserole on my 17 Day Diet! 
Cycle 1, Day 5 of 17 Day Diet Menu and Impressions

Morning Beverage: 2 cups of hot water with lemon.

Breakfast: A piece of Spinach Feta Frittata, super delicious!!! A cup of green tea. 

Lunch: Hearty Cabbage Soup (Click for recipe), leftovers from 2 days ago. Yummy! And a cup of green tea.

Dinner: sautéed tarragon Baby Bella Mushrooms over Chicken and Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. (I will post this absolutely incredible recipe…my family devoured every last bit.) 3 glasses of water, no green tea. 

Exercise: nothing today:(

Impressions: My biggest challenge about the diet today, has been the elimination of wine. To have a glass or not, that has been the debate in my head today. Why you ask...It's Friday!!! That's when I really look forward to having a glass of wine with Dave and winding down from a busy week. Plus, during the winter months we are at our ski house in Ellicottville every weekend. You don't come to this ski town without a cocktail in hand! Can I give up two weekends without enjoying a glass of wine? Of course I can. The real question is do I want to give up two weekends without enjoying a glass of wine? I'm not so sure!
Imagine waking up to this dish in the morning!
Assembled and ready to bake in the oven
Just out of the oven! Fancy looking and flavorful tasting!
17 Day Diet Friendly, low carb & low calorie
Baby spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and feta
My Tyler baby

Spinach Feta Frittata Bake: (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and Cook Time: 30 minutes

Serves: 8

Ingredients:
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup of plain greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup fat free crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 cup of fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup fresh baby spinach
  • 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
  • 8 slices of tomato, about three tomatoes 
  • salt n pepper
  • non stick cooking spray
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x12 baking dish with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs, water and yogurt until well mixed. Add feta, mozzarella, spinach, mushrooms, salt and pepper and mix with a spoon. Pour egg mixture in baking dish and add the tomato slices to top. Sprinkle with salt n pepper and a little extra mozzarella cheese and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes. Cut into 8 slices and serve. 

Dinner: sautéed tarragon baby bella mushrooms over chicken and cauliflower mashed potatoes. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment