Thursday, February 26, 2015

Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps (17 Day Diet Friendly)

Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Dave got home really late last night from a business trip in Boston. I was sleeping when he got home I didn't get to see him until this morning. He immediately said "Oh my gosh, where are you? There's nothing left of you. What has that 17 Day Diet done to you?" I laughed knowing he read my blog posts  while he was away. I knew he was kidding, but totally wished he wasn't! He grabbed me to give me a big hug and kiss and said "you actually feel like you lost some weight." I was like really?! He said "Yes, and don't go loosing too much weight because I like to feel a little something when I give you a squeeze in the bee-hind!" I laughed again thinking well I'm glad someone likes a little extra junk in my trunk! Whether Dave was serious or not about me feeling lighter, it didn't matter because his little squeeze inspired me to continue on this diet. 34 more days!

Today was an awesome food day. How many people say those words while on a diet? Not many I know. I love to cook and am always thinking of new and creative recipes to make for me and my family. So this diet has not stopped me from making amazing meals and that's what's made everyday an awesome food day. The only difference is that there is more preparation and forethought that goes into my menu planning. It's not a huge deal but then again it's only been four days. Dave has been out of town, the boys have only had basketball this week, and I've had nothing so it's been easy to plan this week. So back to my awesome food day…let me tell you what I ate. I started out with a cup of hot water with lemon, which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. For breakfast I had greek yogurt, strawberries, green tea and a probiotic supplement. For lunch I had my incredibly delicious Hearty Cabbage Soup (click for recipe) and a cup of green tea. For dinner…another drum roll please….Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps. I've never used "lettuce" wraps before. I know they are the rage now, but I've always thought why bother. Is a piece of lettuce really going to trick your mind into thinking you are eating a scrumptious soft shell taco or a piece crusty white italian bread? I don't think so…or at least that's what I thought until I made these lettuce wraps. I consider myself a pretty open minded person especially when it comes to food, but there are a few things I just never cared to try…number one being "lettuce" wraps!

I was really in the mood for tacos but knew I couldn't dare touch a soft shell taco, so I figured hey, this may be a good time to try these "lettuce" wraps. Boy am I glad I did because they were ridiculously good, like really good. Ok, certainly not as carb-a-licious as a shell, but they were not too far behind. It tasted like I was eating a taco salad in a new kinda way. And I love taco salads. I bought taco shells for the boys thinking they would never want lettuce wraps…well I was L-wrongo! They totally wanted to try them so I gave them one soft shell and one lettuce. They loved them! And the best part of this recipe is that they are 17 Day Diet Friendly! Don't knock it til you try it is my motto of the day!

Salute to a 4th awesome food day and salute to trying new recipes like Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps!

Cycle 1, Day 4 Daily Menu and Impressions

Morning Beverage: 2 cups of hot water with lemon.

Breakfast: Greek yogurt, strawberries and green tea. Probiotic supplement.

Lunch: Hearty Cabbage Soup and a cup of green tea.

Dinner: Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps, 3 to be exact! A cup of green tea.

Exercise: Leg squats, yes that's my problem area!

Diet Impressions: Today was the first day that I was not digging the green tea so much. I am beginning to feel like an old lady drinking coffee or tea at every meal. I know it's good for you so I'll plunge away and keep drinking. Love the hot water with lemon..this ritual won't stop even after the diet is over. Let's talk about will power…tonight I took the boys to see McFarland, USA at the theater. Amazing, amazing fell good family movie. So before we left Tyler and Zachary made me a hot cup of green tea to take to the movies…knowing full well I couldn't have any movie theater good but really bad for you snacks. I am happy to report that I did not eat one kernel of popcorn. Yep, not one! The three of them sat there and chomped all night on succulent buttery and salt popcorn. As difficult as it was I refrained from reaching over and sticking my face in the ginormous bucket! Proud moment.
Never thought I'd like lettuce as a soft taco shell.  Ridiculously good and it's 17 Day Diet Friendly.
Add your fixings to this delicious healthy taco
Saute the ground turkey and peppers, and add the
tomatoes and seasoning 
Carefully remove lettuce leaves from the head
Add the greek yogurt or sour cream, and cheese
Put a large spoonful of seasoned turkey
And you got yourself a Southwest Turkey Lettuce  Wrap
Make yourself 2, 3 or 4 of these bad boys…without guilt!
Your kids will even love them…Zachary did!
My 17 Day Diet Dinner! Yum!

Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 30 minutes

Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 package of taco seasoning (I used low sodium for diet)
  • 1 head of iceberg lettuce with 8 leaves carefully removed
  • plain greek yogurt, or fat free sour cream
  • low fat shredded cheddar cheese

In a large non stick skillet, add turkey and bell pepper over medium heat until browned. Using oil isn't  necessary but if you want to use a little cooking spray feel free. Add taco seasoning according to package and stir. Add canned tomatoes and stir and let simmer for 5 minutes or so. Add a teaspoon of greek yogurt to bottom have of lettuce leaf. Add a sprinkle of cheese and add a large spoonful of turkey to lettuce. Now add a little more cheese and carefully roll wrap. Serve 2 per person.
I had major will power tonight by not eating a single kernel of popcorn!
The best part is that we had the entire theater to ourselves!
McFarland, USA was a terrific feel good family movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment