Wednesday, February 5, 2014

It's a Doorknock Dinner tonight!

Oven Roasted Potatoes and Sausage
Today was one of those days I just didn't feel like going to the grocery store. Maybe it's because of the snowy weather or maybe it's because I was just feeling plain old lazy! When I have days like this I make it a "Doorknock Dinner." What is a Doorknock Dinner you ask? Good question and when I tell you, I will be showing my age! Doorknock Dinner was a show that aired on the FoodNetwork in the late 90's. The host of the program was Gordon Elliot. He would knock on stranger's doors, sometimes even with a celebrity chef like Bobby Flay or Paula Deen and they would make a dinner based on what they had in their refrigerators or cupboards. It was such a goofy show but I loved it. I have been watching the FoodNetwork since it's inception and boy has it changed over the years. I got a kick out of watching Doorknock Dinners, but also remember and loved watching Sara Moulton's Weeknight Meals, Malto Mario and Emeril Live. Oldies but goodies! So back to the weather being bad me being lazy and not wanting to go to the grocery store. In our house having a doorknock dinner means cooking with whatever we have in the refrigerator. I pretend it's like a game or a challenge for myself to make a creative delicious meal out of what's left. So I have italian sausage, peppers, onions and bacon that I'd like to use. My first thought was to make italian sausage on rolls, then I thought sausage with pasta but none of those appealed to me. I have lots of potatoes so I thought how about sausage and potatoes. Now THAT sounds good! So tonight I made Oven Roasted Potatoes and Sausage. Gordon Elliot would have been proud of my culinary creativity! The night ended with a magic show by Nate and a dessert called "Sponge Cookie Whip" prepared by Zachary. Salute to doorknock dinners!
One Pot Deliciousness!
Oven Roasted Potatoes and Sausage: (Click to print recipe)

Serves 6

Ingredients:

10 mild or hot italian sausage links, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 lbs. of potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks (I used baby red)
1 green pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
4 cooked slices of bacon, chopped
2 tb. garlic
1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
olive oil
1/4 cup chicken stock
salt n pepper
1 t. oregano
1 t. thyme
1/8 cup of sliced scallions
Sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a roasting pan add 2 tb olive oil, potatoes, sausage and add salt n pepper. Cover with lid or foil and cook for 30 minutes. Take potatoes and sausage out of oven and add tomatoes, garlic, thyme and oregano and stock, and stir. Put cover back on and cook in oven for another 30 minutes until tender. Take off lid, add cooked bacon and scallions, stir and cook for another 10 minutes until potatoes are brown and crisp. Add a dollop of sour cream, and serve.

Food Impressions:

Nate: "I like how you used scraps to make such an awesome dinner." (Thanks Nate, I guess I'll take that as a compliment.)

Tyler: "All of the foods are so good. Is this Dom's bacon in here?"

Zachary: "Tastes Italian."

Dave: "I like how the sausage and bacon infused in the potatoes. Very flavorful."

Andrea (me): I'm pretty impressed with this this meal. The bacon added a nice flavor in the dish and really stood out. The sour cream was a nice way to put a cool edge to this dish. I love Doorknock Dinners!
Nate the Magician!

Zachary's Doorknock Dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment