Friday, March 7, 2014

7 Days of Oranges - Day 2

Orange, Fennel, Olive and Arugula Salad

Here goes day 2 of my 7 Days of Oranges mission! Today is the second course which is salad and I made Orange, Fennel, Olive and Arugula Salad. Wow, talk about a refreshing, bursting with flavor salad. I love fennel but Dave is not a fan so I was a little hesitant about making this salad. I figured if he really didn't like the fennel he could push it aside or simply give it to me. Fennel has a bitter licorice taste and the oranges slices balance the bitterness. I was going to add sliced almonds and I'm glad I didn't because it wasn't necessary...the fennel adds a nice crunch to this dish. I also made an Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette as a dressing for the salad. Honestly, it didn't even need the dressing because the ingredients alone compliment and enhance each other so well. The orange vinaigrette added an extra sweetness to this salad. I liked the vinaigrette so much that I would use it on other salads or even as a marinade for poultry or seafood. The colors alone in the salad are vibrant and gorgeous. It looked so pretty I didn't even want to eat it. I took a few bites before I photographed the salad and I had to stop myself from devouring the whole entire salad. Take one bite and you won't stop, it's seriously that good! I made this salad for lunch but it would be superb along side of grilled chicken or grilled shrimp as a dinner. The other great thing about this salad is that it keeps well over night so if you have leftovers it's just as good the following day. I'm loving this orange mission by the way! Salute to 7 Days of Oranges - and 5 more to go!
Use the freshest ingredients for the best taste 
Freshly squeezed oranges using my late grandmother Brigid's
50 year old juicer!
Tastes as delicious as it looks! Look at those vibrant colors.
This white platter is my other late Grandmother's, Josephine, which is also well over 50 years old! 

Orange, Fennel, Olive and Arugula Salad: (Click to print recipe)

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 2 oranges, each slice cut in halves or thirds 
  • 1 fennel bulb, halved length wise, cored and sliced thinly
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 20 kalamata olives or green olives ( I used both)
  • 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
  • 2 cups baby arugula 
  • 1/2 cup of orange balsamic vinaigrette (see recipe below)
In a large mixing bowl add all of the ingredients above and add the orange balsamic vinaigrette. Mix well until the dressing is incorporated into the ingredients. transfer to a large platter or salad bowl. Add freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.

Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette:

Makes 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, approximately 1 large orange
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 t sugar
  • salt n pepper
  • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
In a medium bowl whisk orange juice, balsamic vinegar, sugar and salt n pepper together. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking at the same time and mixing until well blended. Drizzle over lettuce greens. 

Food Impressions:

Dave: "Wow this is superb! Very fresh tasting. I surprisingly like the fennel."

Andrea: Can't wait to make this again. All of the ingredients go really well together. Would serve well with any grilled protein. 



No comments:

Post a Comment