Friday, March 28, 2014

Classic Crab Cakes - A taste of Martha's Vineyard tonight


Tonight we were supposed to leave to go to Ellicottville for the weekend. Dave had a business trip in New York City and his flight was delayed so we decided to stay in Buffalo for the night and head to Ellicottville in the morning. We knew it would be a late dinner but that was ok because it gave me extra time to go to the grocery store before he got home. The boys and I headed to Wegmans, without a grocery list or knowing what I wanted for dinner…big mistake! I ended up walking around aimlessly trying to figure out what I wanted. Everything looked good so I was putting all sorts of delicious foods in my cart. Like green tomatoes, butternut squash, avocado, mango, puff pastry, fresh mozzarella, the list goes on. One item I added to the cart was fresh crab meat. As soon as I saw the crab meat I immediately thought crab cakes. I love crab cakes but I usually don't order them when I go to out to dinner because I'm afraid they won't be the freshest or the best quality. I also don't make them too often because well, they're expensive. I bought one pound of crab for $27.99 and that yields 6 crab cakes. In my house, one crab cake per person won't cut it so I bought 2 pounds. (I'm sure Dave will have a convulsion after reading how much I paid) As soon as I decided I was making crab cakes I got all excited. So excited that I had to go to Butlers Liquor store and buy one of my favorite bottles of wine…7 Deadly Zins - Zinfandel. My dear friends John and Judy introduced me to this wine years ago and ever since it's been one of my favorites. Plus, I also bought a cool Rabbit wine opener at Wegmans along with all of the great foods…another reason I just had to buy wine. As soon as I got home I opened the bottle of wine with ease thanks to my Rabbit and started preparing dinner. I started with making the remoulade sauce, which was amazing. Remoulade is a classic french condiment that has a mayonnaise base and pairs excellent with crab cakes. Then I started making the crab cakes and oh my did that bring back memories to our trip to Martha's Vineyard. I remember eating the most fabulous seafood meals while we were there. It was the freshest and of the upmost quality. I also remember having the best crab cakes at this small eatery on the water while we were riding bikes around the island. Once I started cooking those crab cakes the house was infused with seafood flavors. Flavors that brought me back to Martha's Vineyard. Talk about food impressions! So tonight on the menu I served classic crab cakes with remoulade sauce over white rice. It was spectacular because what really shined through was the lump crab meat, not the fillers that many add such as an overload of bread crumbs. Even though I broke the bank making these crab cakes, it was so worth it.  Again, so worth it…right Dave?! Salute to classic crab cakes and travels that have made lasting food impressions.
The crab meat I used. Pricey but well worth it.
Pan searing the crab cakes with a touch of olive oil 
Classic Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce over White Rice
Homemade Remoulade Sauce
Classic Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 40 minutes

Serves 6

Ingredients for Crab Cakes:

  • 1 lb fresh or pasteurized lump crab meat
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • 3/4 cup of plain bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup mayonaise
  • 1 tb old bay seasoning
  • 1 t worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tb fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tb fresh parsley, chopped
In a medium bowl mix all of the ingredients with a large spoon or with your hands. Do not over mix. Gently shape cakes into 6 even patties, about 1 inch thick. In a large skillet heat about 2 tb olive oil over medium heat. Add cakes to hot skillet and sear on one side for 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Flip cakes over and pan sear an additional 5-7 minutes. Serve with remoulade sauce and fresh lemon.

Ingredients for Remoulade Sauce:
  • 1 cup mayonaise
  • 1/8 cup dijon mustard
  • 1 tb paprika
  • 1 t creole seasoning
  • 1 tb prepared horseradish
  • 1 t hot sauce
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Serve over crab cakes. Cover and refrigerate for up to three days.

Food Impressions:

Nate: "Super yummy. The sauce is a little spicy."

Tyler: "I love this sauce and the crab meat is so good. I didn't think I would really like it."

Zachary: "Yuuuuuuuum."

Dave: "Delicious, brings me back to New Orleans."

Andrea: "So worth the cost. Brought me back to Martha's Vineyard."

No comments:

Post a Comment