Sunday, March 9, 2014

7 Days of Oranges - Day 4

Orange-Mint Asparagus, Lima Beans and Peas

I am on to Day 4 of my "7 Days of Oranges" mission. If you remember the last recipe I made,  Cranberry-Orange Quinoa with Feta, wasn't exactly spring-like and it tasted more like a dish you'd serve on Thanksgiving. And with the winter we've been having I need to feel some spring. This past weekend we had to turn the clocks an hour ahead because of Daylight Saving Time. I despise losing an hour in my day for many reasons, but especially if the sun isn't shining and I don't feel an ounce of warmth! In fact, weather reports are calling for another major winter storm in the northeast! It's mid-march, ugh! We are avid skiers and embrace the winter but our Punta Cana trip can't get here soon enough! So to remedy my winter blues mood I wanted to make something reminiscent of spring. (Plus it helped that asparagus was on sale for $1.99 a pound at Dash's.) So I made an Orange-Mint Asparagus, Lima Beans and Peas. Well, if my fourth course doesn't sound like spring than I don't know what does my friends. Not only does this dish sound like spring, it tastes like spring. I actually made this recipe before at one of our spring themed dinners for Gourmet Club. I made one change to the recipe and substituted the lemon with freshly squeezed orange juice. I loved it with the lemon but I also enjoyed it with the orange. So really you could make this recipe using either. This is a quintessential spring vegetable dish. I also made some orecchiette pasta on the side and the boys mixed the vegetables with the pasta and I sprinkled a little parm cheese on top. They gave it a two thumbs up and I happen to agree! Salute to 7 Days of Oranges and 3 more to go!
Freshly squeezed orange juice
fresh mint and orange, both flavors sing in harmony

Orange-Mint Asparagus, Lima Beans and Peas (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 20 minutes

Serves: 8

Ingredients:

  • 2 tb olive oil
  • 1 tb minced garlic
  • 1 bunch asparagus cut into thirds 
  • 1 bag frozen peas (10 oz)
  • 1 bag frozen lima beans (10 oz)
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 2 tb fresh chopped mint leaves
  • salt n pepper
In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and minced garlic. Add asparagus, and saute for 7 minutes or until tender. Add peas and lima beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes until cooked through. Add orange juice, mint and salt n pepper, and stir until well blended and turn on low and let simmer for 5 minutes. 

Food Impressions;

Nate: "Mom, what kind of bean is that?" It's a lima bean Nate, try it you'll like it. "Wow that is good, mom!"

Tyler: "I like the minty-ness, like toothpaste." (Not quite the taste I was going for Tyler, but I'm glad you liked it!)

Zachary: He didn't say anything but ate every lima bean, pea and asparagus on his plate!

Dave: "I like the fresh mint, asparagus a little undercooked."

Andrea: The flavors of all the green vegetables go really well together and the orange juice rounds the dish out with a subtle sweetness. Will make it again and really liked it with the side of orecchiette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment