Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Pear that "had me at hello!"

Poached Pears with Mascrapone Cheese and Honey Glaze
I am often inspired to make a recipe based on what looks appealing and delicious at the grocery store. I had no intent on making Poached Pears with Mascrapone Cheese and Honey Glaze this weekend. The bushel of the most beautifully ripened bartlett pears perched by the cheese section "had me at hello!" I knew I just had to make something with those pears. They would have been delicious all by themselves but I wanted to make something special. Plus, Dave is not a dessert guy so I figured if the ingredients consisted of fruit, wine and cheese I couldn't go wrong and with those ingredients it hardly seemed like a dessert. The best thing about this dessert is that it's so elegant looking and tastes like you are eating a dessert from a five star restaurant. If you served this dessert to guests they would think you spent hours making it. The key word there is think, in reality it will only take you a total of 45 minutes to make... ultra sophisticated dessert in a snap! What's nice about this dessert is that it can be made a day ahead. I made the dessert in the morning and served it after dinner. Anytime I make a dessert Zachary is the first one to volunteer to help out. We had a fun time making this dessert together. Although he had a fun project going on himself while I was prepping the pears. The boys have these books called Wreck This Journal that I highly recommend. The boys are entertained for hours when they use there books and it's quite entertaining watching them complete each page. His Wreck this Journal required some of the ingredients we were making the recipe with so it our dessert making took a different twist. I posted a few pages of the book below. The boys loved this dessert and devoured it before I had a chance to sit down and eat mine! Since this recipe has several steps I've incorporated pictures with steps.
The pear that had me at hello!
The sweet honey being added to the wine and vanilla
Half the pears at the stem, peel and core

The pears poaching. The aroma that fills the kitchen is amazing!
The honey glaze and poached pears with cinnamon
Ultra Elegant!
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cheese and Honey Glaze (Click to print)

Preparation and cook time: 45 minutes

Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 6 ripe pears, peeled, halved and cored (I used Bartlett) 
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1 cup water
  • 6 tb honey
  • 1 tb vanilla extract
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
  • 2 tb sugar
  • 1/8 cup candied walnuts
Using a large saucepan over medium heat, add water, white wine, honey and vanilla. Stir until honey dissolves. Add pears and place parchment paper over the top of the pears. Cook for 15 minutes on one side then turn over and cook for another 15 minutes until pears are tender when pierced. With a slotted spoon remove pears and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Continue to boil honey glaze for 5 minutes. Set aside. Meanwhile, which mascarpone cheese and sugar until well mixed and it turns fluffy and peaks form. Place half a pear on a plate and top with mascarpone cheese and crushed walnuts. Then drizzle with warm honey glaze. 

Food Impressions:

Nate: "The pears are so juicy. I like the pears warm."

Tyler: "It tastes like a warm apple pie."

Zachary: "It's so juicy and sweet."

Dave: "Very good, the pears were a little al dente. Love the mascarpone and the honey glaze reminds me of mead wine."

Andrea: Simple and elegant. The flavors weren't too sweet and the mascarpone, pears and honey glaze were a perfect combination. This is a dessert that will impress guests. Will make again for sure.
Zachary's Wreck this Journal!
Using the honey from our dessert!
From Friday's dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment