Friday, March 21, 2014

Mashed Cauliflower and a Much Needed Glass of Wine!



Today I posted a picture on Facebook of a glass of wine and titled it "Much needed glass of wine." It was one of those weeks at work where I was like TGIF. As soon as Dave got home I said "Before you take off your coat, before you open the mail and before you stick your hand in the refrigerator, pour me a glass of wine...now...please!" He knew I meant business so he immediately pulled out a great bottle of wine (Wayne Gretzky Estates - Cabernet Sauvignon U.V.) from our wine credenza. I took a sip of that bold Cab and said "Ahhh, just what I needed."

After enjoying a half glass of wine I was ready to  mash cauliflower. And based on the week I had I was really ready to mash, with conviction! So on the menu tonight was Mashed Cauliflower. Years ago when I was on a low carb kick I remember coming across a mock recipe for mashed potatoes, using cauliflower. So if you are looking for something that is low carb, paleo friendly, or gluten free this is a great recipe to try. I love cauliflower so the recipe spoke to me. I've made this recipe several times and it's so easy to make. Much easier and quicker than mashed potatoes since there is no peeling required. I wouldn't say it tastes like mashed potatoes so don't make this thinking you will fool your children. Although you may fool them by the looks though. I know my boys were fooled. When I was done making the Mashed Cauliflower I had it warming on the stove and when each boy walked by they said "Ooooh mashed potatoes." I was curious to see if I could fool them tonight so I just said "yep." You can make mashed cauliflower as simple as you want to but I like to add other ingredients to give it more depth and flavor. In my opinion cauliflower alone is bland. So however you flavor your mashed potatoes you can do the same with your mashed cauliflower. I usually add sour cream and chives to mine. Tonight I did not have those ingredients so I opted for cream cheese and fresh parsley. It was creamy and flavorful. Adding other cheeses such as cheddar, goat or gorgonzola are also delicious. What I also love about mashed cauliflower is that you feel good after eating it. It doesn't make you feel heavy and bloated like potatoes do, and that's a good thing. So did I fool Nate, Tyler and Zachary thinking they were mashed potatoes? Read their Food Impressions to find out! Salute to mashed cauliflower and a much needed glass of wine!
My much needed glass of wine and Facebook post
Cut up a large head of cauliflower and boil it in a large pot
Boil until tender and strain the water as much as you can
Mash the cauliflower as you would potatoes.
Doesn't it look like potatoes?
Fluffy, creamy, flavorful and healthy!
Mashed cauliflower, sauteed spinach and pan seared
scallops with lemon. Delicious meal!
Mashed Cauliflower (Click to print recipe)

Preparation and cook time: 30 minutes

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

  • 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped in to large florets
  • 1 tb butter
  • 4 oz cream cheese or 1/3 cup of sour cream
  • 2 tb fresh chopped chives (I used parsley because that's what I had on hand)
  • salt n pepper to taste
In a large pot bring water to a boil and add the chopped cauliflower florets. Turn heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until tender when pierced with fork. Strain water from pot with a colander. Add cauliflower back to pot and mash using a fork or potato masher. Stir in cream cheese or sour cream, butter, chives and salt n pepper. Mix until fluffy and creamy. 

Food Impressions:

Nate: "These are not mashed potatoes. Is this that cauliflower stuff you make?"

Tyler: "Hey I thought you said you were making mashed potatoes!"

Zachary: "Tastes like mashed potatoes to me with lots of cauliflower added!" 

Dave: "You should make these more often."

Andrea: Ok, so no fooling my boys! I honestly didn't think they would be fooled since they LOVE mashed potatoes and know the taste, but I was hoping they'd be fooled. Creamy and delicious and I felt good after eating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment