Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Dinner and a Blizzard!

So today is not a blizzard but the end of a blizzard here in Buffalo, New York. Temperatures hit a low of -5 with wind chills as low as -28. It tied the lowest record since 1942. The outbreak in the cold air is being termed "polar vortex." My friends are terming this as an "outdoor refrigerator." In other words, a great opportunity to store large supplies of adult beverages outside! Heck, we are Buffalonians, we can handle any type of weather, in fact we embrace it! Some bars and restaurants in the city have even opened several hours early to host blizzard parties.  There are driving bans and let me tell you that is not stopping anyone in Buffalo from having a good time!  Trust me, I'm a proud Buffalonian but treading through mounds of snow and getting frostbite to go to a bar is not high on my list!  My idea of a good time is making comfort food for my family, while my husband and I share a bottle of wine. (While also watching my sons get into a wicked competition of Creationary). So tonight I made Spaghetti Parmesan.  The perfect compliment to the end of a winter storm. Salute to dinner and a blizzard!

Spaghetti Parmesan




1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef (85%)
1 small onion diced
2 tb. of minced garlic
1 28 oz. can tomato puree
1 small can tomato paste
1/4 cup of milk
1 t. parsley
1 t. oregano
small handful of fresh basil torn
1 lb. spaghetti
1 large egg
2-4 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
olive oil
parmesan cheese
salt n pepper

Preheat oven at 350.

For meat sauce: In a pan saute ground beef, diced onions and garlic until browned and cooked through.  Add milk, parsley, oregano, and basil and stir until milk is almost dissolved. Add can of puree and tomato paste and stir.  Let simmer on med-low (until spaghetti is cooked).

In meantime, boil spaghetti until al dente and strain.  Add whisked egg to spaghetti and stir quickly to prevent it from turning into scrambled eggs.  Add half of the meat sauce and 1 cup of the mozzarella, stir and add to an oven proof baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Add the rest of mozzarella to top of pasta (I added 3 more cups of mozzarella, my son Zachary LOVES cheese) and cook until melted and bubbly.

Plate and add extra meat sauce and grated parm cheese to top.  I added extra fresh basil on top as well...Dave can't get enough of fresh basil.


  • I will always follow up with my family's food "impressions."  Enjoy and cheers!


Dinner Impressions: 

Tyler: "Blasting with Flavor."  (He said this was a term from the movie Ratatouille, hey I'll take it) He had a second helping.

Zachary: " Cheesealicious" (Yes, he is my cheese lover)

Nate: "Saucealicious" (He wanted me to note that Zachary copied him on the "alicious" term) 

Dave: " Very satisfying" (I think he just wanted to sound regal, he even said it n a regal voice)

Andrea (me): "Quintessential comfort food" Not one drop left on anyone's plates...now that's a good meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment