Sunday, January 19, 2014

Ooey - Gooey Goodness!

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese


Today's weather in Ellicottville, NY: 18 degrees, sun is shining and there is a light snowfall. Perfect conditions for a long hard day of skiing. I used to think I was a good skier, well that was until my sons decided to take up the sport. They have been skiing since they were 4 years old and they have become some of the most talented skiers I know. They also ski with no fear and will ski any double black diamond or terain park that comes their way. Of course that makes me a nuerotic nervous wreck....if I could only send them out wrapped in quadruple layered bubble wrap! Humm, I may just have to contact Burton with my idea! The weather conditions were not only great for skiing but they were also great for making a crockpot full of hot "Lobster Macaroni and Cheese." With the temperatures hovering at 18 degrees, nothing warmed our stomachs more than this comfort dish. It was layered with three cheeses (sharp cheddar, gruyere, cream cheese) which helped make this dish oh so ooey gooey good! I decided to add the lobster because a) it's packed with protein b) it's divinely delicious and c) I just love impressing the food gawkers at the lodge! Trust me, I had some heads turn once they saw me plating this rich and creamy mac n cheese.  I enjoy making this recipe because it's a special treat for a weeknight meal but it's also fancy enough to serve your friends at a dinner party. This recipe is very easy to make and cooks quickly, only two hours in the crockpot.  I used a frozen cooked lobster rather than using fresh lobster, it saved on time and trust me it was just as delicious. So if you are in the mood to indulge yourself or your family this is the dish to make.  So salute to "ooey gooey lobster mac n cheese!"

Ooey Gooey Goodness!

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese (Click to print recipe)

Serves 8

Ingredients:

1 lb of macaroni (I used cavatappi)
1/2 -1 pound cooked lobster (I used 1/2 lb all natural frozen lobster by Cozy Harbor)
3 cups of cheddar cheese shredded
1 cup gruyere cheese shredded
4 oz cream cheese
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 can condensed cheddar soup
3 cups milk
4 tb butter sliced into small pieces
1 t mustard powder
salt n pepper

In a large pot boil macaroni in until al dente.  Err on the side of more al dente. Strain pasta and put back in pot and add all of the ingredients and stir well. Spray crockpot with cooking spray and add cheesy macaroni mixture.  Cook on low for 2 hours.  Then add lobster and if necessary add more milk and cook for an additional 30 minutes.

Food Impressions:

Nate: "I didn't get enough lobster." (He's probably right if I was serving this dish for dinner, but it was lunch, so I was like seriously Nate, who are you Prince William?) 

Zachary: "I didn't get enough lobster" (seriously!!!!)

Tyler: "I didn't get enough lobster either." (OMG seriously you too!)

Dave: "Delicious mac n cheese.  Probably one of the best you've made because the macaroni is perfectly cooked, it has a good balance of cheese and the lobster is a great addition." (On his second helping he asked me to plate him more lobster because I didn't give him enough!!!!)

Andrea (me): "I am using 1 lb of lobster next time."



Nate posing with the lobster mac n cheese!



No comments:

Post a Comment