Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Now THAT'S a Rice Krispie Treat!

Yipppeee, today was another snow day in Buffalo. Schools weren't closed because of a snow storm, they were closed because the temperatures hit -30F this morning! This is the third day schools were closed due to frigid temperates. The boys and I lounged around most of the morning in our PJ's. The sun came out in the afternoon and the boys and I were getting slight cabin fever so we decided to go to Barnes and Noble Bookstore (*I can't wait to read the books I bought). We went to the Starbucks Coffee Shop in the bookstore to get treats and tea and the boys eye's popped out when they saw the giant marshmallow infused rice krispie treats.  Of course they wanted one but they were like $5.00 per treat and I wasn't going to spend that much. I told the boys I could make a huge giant platter for what one costs at Starbucks. They said "Okay, then you have to make a giant platter when we get home." I said "You're on!" So we stopped at Dollar General, bought a huge box of Rice Krispies Cereal - $3.00 and two bags of mini marshmallows for $2.00. My total cost $5.00! As soon as we got home we made the Rice Krispie Treats. It seriously took me 10 minutes to make! I would have waited in line longer than that at the bookstore! Plus, nothing beats homemade rice krispie treats! Salute to homemade giant sized rice krispie treats!
The best part of making rice krispie treats is licking the pan clean when it's still warm!


Ingredients:

1 12 oz. box of rice krispie cereal
2 bags of mini marshmallows
2 sticks of unsalted butter
optional - ball sprinkles (I add them because it adds extra crunch)

Melt Butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Turn off heat. Add the box of rice krispies and stir until well mixed. Add the sprinkles and stir. With a non-stick spray coat a 9 x 12 pan. Add rice krispie mixture to pan and let sit until cool. 

Food Impressions:

Nate: "Way better than Starbucks."

Tyler: "So yummy and krispalicious!"

Zachary: "100 times better than store bought rice krispies!"

Andrea (me): It reminded me of making them when I was growing up...except a heck of a lot easier. We didn't have non-stick pans so the marshmallow cleanup was a bear, plus I always seemed to burn the marshmallows at the bottom of the pan! None the less, they always tasted amazing!
* The books I bought today and can't wait to read:

 "I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced" by Nujood Ali
"Blogging for Dummies" by Susan Gunelius

No comments:

Post a Comment