Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Stella's Must Try Chicken Stew with Biscuits

Chicken Stew with Biscuits


A dear friend of mine, Christa, sent me this email the other day. It inspired me to make this recipe tonight for my family or should I say "The Siwiec Boys!" Stella is Christa's 12 year old daughter and let me tell you she was spot on, this dish was good! And in my opinion, any recipe from Ina Garten is a classic! Salute to Stella for the tasty chicken and stew recipe recommendation! 

We're excited to go skiing this weekend with you guys.  Hopefully it will be a little warmer than this craziness!  Please be sure to keep everything simple and let me know what I can bring.  Kids are REALLY excited.  

I made a chicken dish last night and everyone loved it.  We were talking about skiing with you guys and Stella said, "I think the Siwiec boys would really like what you just made for dinner."  I thought that was so cute.  So, as directed by Stella, here is the recipe. I used skinless chicken breasts and just used 2 Betty Crocker bagged mixes for the biscuits on top.  It was delicious!

Have a great day.  I am going to Bikram yoga today at noon.  I could careless about the fitness benefits of going, I just want to warm up in the 105 degree room!

Christa
Zachary adding on the biscuits!

Just out of the oven!

*This recipe is from Barefoot Contessa Family Style Cookbook, Ina Garten, 2002

Ingredients:

3 whole (6 split) chicken breasts (I used a rotisserie chicken)
3 tb oilive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
5 cups of chicken stock
2 bullion cubes
12 tb unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 cups chopped yellow onion
3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups medium diced carrots
1 10 oz pk of frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen small pearl onions
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
*I also used 2 cups of corn

For the biscuits: (I used pillsbury biscuits from the can/2 tubes)

2 cups flour
1 tb baking powder
1 t kosher salt
1 t sugar
1/4 lb cold unsalted butter (1 stick)
3/4 cups half n half
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 egg mixed with 1 tb water for fresh egg wash

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken on a sheet pan and sprinkle with salt n pepper. Roast 35-40 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken from bones, remove skin and cut in large chunks (or just shred rotisserie chicken). In a saucepan, heat the chicken stock and bouillon cubes. In a large pot melt the butter and saute the onions over medium to low heat for 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock to the sauce and simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stir until thick. Add salt, pepper and heavy cream. Add the chicken, peas, carrots, onion, corn and parsley. Place in a baking dish 10 x 13 x 2. bake in oven for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the biscuits. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Add butter and mix with a beater on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Add half in half and mix on low speed. Mix the parsley. Dump the dough on a well floured board and roll with a rolling pin. Roll to 3/8 inch. Cut into 12 circles with a 2 1/2 round cutter.

Remove stew from the oven and arrange the biscuits on the top of the filling.  Brush them with egg wash and return the dish to the oven, Bake for another 20-30 minutes until the biscuits are brown and the stew is bubbling.

Food Impressions:

Nate: "Wait there were onions in this?" (He said this after he finished his whole plate. He doesn't like onions but he seemed to dig them in this dish!)

Tyler: "Wow, Stella was right, I love this chicken stew."

Zachary: "It's salty and sweet and the same time. I really like this." (I think the sweetness came from the corn I added!)

Dave: "A little bland, what herbs are in this?" (I told him salt, pepper and parsley..that's it. He's a big flavor guy so while he ate everything on his plate he would have appreciated another level of spice.)

Andrea (me): It brought me back to a meal that's primitive in nature. A great classic! Thanks for the recommendation Stella and Christa!
Stella and Nate


No comments:

Post a Comment