Friday, January 10, 2014

Who doesn't like a classic PB & J?

So I was sitting at my desk at work, enjoying my lunch when a colleague of mine stopped and said "Siwiec, what the heck are you eating?" I said "A peanut butter and jelly sandwich." He said " YOU, eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich - it must be gourmet." He asked if it had almond butter or homemade jam or if it was bread made from a specialty bakery. I said "No, No and No. This is a classic PB & J with white Wonder bread, Jiff peanut butter and Smuckers grape jelly." I followed by saying sometimes the best foods are the classics, ones that remind of us our childhood.  He walked away still wondering why I was eating a PB & J.  I'll admit, I was not surprised that my colleague had the reaction that he did; my lunches look more like take out from Tiffany's! This conversation got me thinking and even chuckle a little that someone thought I would turn my nose at a PB & J.  I love making gourmet foods but I also love making some of the simple classics, especially for my boys.  While we were stranded in the house for two days during the blizzard I made the boys peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with a tall glass of cold milk.  They gobbled it down as fast as the peanut butter allowed and then finished their milk without taking a breath.  They looked at me with a milk mustache and said "aaah, that was good mom!" Talk about a good food impression.  I think they will always love the classics just like me.  Heck, who doesn't like a classic PB and J?  

No comments:

Post a Comment