Saturday, January 25, 2014

Kale and Potato Soup with a Kick

Kale and Potato Soup



Well it's another ski day for the Siwiec family, minus me. I knew yesterday I would not be skiing today. The weather report was calling for blustery snowy conditions with winds up to 45 mph. Dave and the boys called me crazy for not wanting to ski. Several of the Western New York Ski Clubs were actually cancelled due to the weather advisory. So I called them crazy for wanting to ski! There is no doubt I am a fair weathered skier. Dave and the boys will ski in any conditions all day long, that's what die hards they are. Knowing I wasn't going to ski, I was really looking forward to being home by myself relaxing and watching episode after episode of House Hunters and Real Housewives of New York. Then I started feeling a little guilty for not wanting to ski. And Dave didn't help...he started laying it on thick by saying "Andrea don't forget one of the reasons we enjoy skiing so much is it allows us to spend quality time together as a family. Plus, if you don't go we'll be forced to eat the cafeteria style food at the lodge!" He knew that's all he had to say was cafeteria food. So the wonderful wife and mother that I am went with them; to spare them from having to eat the lodge chili of course. (let's not even get me started on the lodge chili cause that's a whole other post) I know call me a sap, call me a sucker, call me a sap sucker!  I caved. We compromised though, I brought my iPad and magazines to the lodge and relaxed while they skied. It wasn't so bad. I enjoyed people watching and checking out what other skiers brought to the lodge for lunch. One table had gumbo, one had ziti and meatballs, and another had pulled pork. Our table: Kale and Potato Soup. I've made this recipe before so I knew everyone would love it. Plus it's healthy! I added red pepper flakes which gave it a nice kick. The potatoes and cannellini beans make this a rustic hearty soup. I couldn't wait until lunch time.

After a few hours of skiing Dave and the boys walked into the lodge with bright red cheeks, frozen fingers and snow covered coats. They also had the biggest smiles on their faces when they saw me sitting there waiting for them with hot cocoa and hot soup. Nothing made me more happy! Was the lodge as comfortable as sitting at home on my plush couch? No. Was the lodge more entertaining than watching HGTV and BRAVO on our 60 inch flat screen TV? No. Was the lodge better choice for spending quality time with my family? Absolutely!

Salute to eating Kale and Potato Soup with my family at the ski lodge! 

Kale and Potato Soup (Click for recipe)

Serves 8-10

Ingredients:
  • 10 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cans cannellini beans
  • 10 oz chopped kale
  • 2 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
  • 1/4 t red pepper flakes
  • salt n pepper
  • small piece of parmesan cheese rind
  • shaved parmesan cheese

In a crockpot add all of the above ingredients except the shaved parm cheese. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Pour in soup bowls and add shaved parn cheese.

Food Impressions:

Zachary: "This soup is delicious. It's warming my tummy." He kept shaving parm cheese into his bowl.

Tyler: "I think I smelled your soup while I was skiing."

Nate: "Yummy. He kept adding fresh ground pepper for even a bigger kick." Had a second bowl.

Dave: "This soup is amazing.  I didn't think it would have the depth of flavors that it has. I like the heat from the red pepper flakes." He had two huge bowls.

Andrea (me): "The soup is so simple but has big flavors. It's a healthy soup and you feel good after eating it." So happy Dave convinced me to go to the lodge with them! Totally worth it. Now as far as tomorrow, thats a different story...I'll be at home watching my shows, guilt free!
Nate and Dave
Zachary and Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment